You only live once, since it can not be scientifically proven that there is an afterlife, one could assume that when they die there is nothing left to experience.

Go shoplift something once. Eat your roomates ham sandwich in the fridge. Try LSD once. Go backpacking through the mountains. Lay out in the sun no matter how well you tan or burn. Go to that afterhours party with the hookers and cocaine and alcohol even though you have to sit in your tiny cubicle at your boring, meaningless job the next day at 8:00 am. Find a girlfriend/boyfriend/significant other and fall in love with him/her. Then cheat on him/her. Then get cheated on. Then get dumped. Or dump them instead. Tell somebody you love them. Tell somebody you hate them. Go for a midnight ride the next full moon. Spend an hour organizing your album collection, then another hour listening to them and messing it all up again. Tell that roomate of yours that you want to murder that he is kicked out.

The point of all this is, no matter how good or bad you may feel, the moment will be gone. Those of us that are still young we are fortunate to have a little more time to experience these things. Those of us that are old should look back on their life just once and see if they've done everything no matter how trivial or meaningless it may seem, that they want to do. Even if it is a bad experience.

You only live once.

You only live once.

Eat, drink, be merry. Play late night games of frisbee in the pouring rain. Read anything you can get your hands on. But why blow this precious sip of life in the slammer because you thought it would be spontaneous and cute to steal something for no apparent reason? Why get wasted to the point where you're puking your brains out and remember nothing of it the next morning? Why do something you know will rain on someone else's single shot of life just for the hell of it? Why condemn yourself to fighting an addiction that will eventually kill you when there are at any time an infinite number of beautiful, meaningful things to be done, things that trigger that satisfaction you get when you've run to the point where you thought your heart would burst and then you collapse, powerless, on the ground and fall asleep?

If you were given a glass of water that was to be your first, last, only glass of water you would have the pleasure of drinking, would you slosh it around, pour some salt and some dirt in because it seemed like it would be fun, poke a hole in the side to watch it run out, all just so you could say you'd done it?

Or would you let that sweet liquid run through you, to the innermost core of your being and then radient through your fingers and your toes, until it was gone and you knew you had done your best?

I read a really lame car advert once that listed 20 things one should do before one died, including world travel, fine dining and such, and predictably, #20 was "Buy a new Oldsmobuick Scavenger". The ad sucked ass, but one of the must-dos struck me as a good idea.

Hide a twenty dollar bill on a school playground somewhere a child will find it.

I like this one a great deal.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.