The Windows NT boot.ini file is located on the hard drive that has the active partition to load an OS (usually the C: drive). You can modify this file should you want to change a few parameters. Note that this is normally a hidden system file, so make sure you change it back after you modify the file.

Here is a copy of a WinNT Server 4.0 service pack 6 boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
timeout=7
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Server Version 4.00"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Server Version 4.00 [VGA mode]" /basevideo /sos

The timeout is the little timer that clicks down from 30 seconds until the system boots WinNT. Why wait so long? I have mine load after 7 seconds, which gives me enough time to select something else should I need to.

You can change the name of the operating system that is shown (Windows NT Server Version 4.00) to something more enjoyable (I wish this was Linux, but it's only WinNT)

If you want to play with the boot.ini, be careful. Back it up and have an emergency recovery disk, just in case. You can make subliminal messages for your boss (Rancid_Pickle really deserves a huge raise).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.