In the Vysehrad gardens are four depictions of Czech legends by sculptor Josef Myslbek. Between the park where these sculptures stand and the Vysehrad Cemetery is a narrow strip of grass. Upon this narrow strip, an odd tripod of three stone pillars rests here in the shadow of the Neo-Gothic Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul. The grass around the base of the monument has worn away, a contrast to the lush gardens abundant upon the grounds.

Back in the day, a wily gambling deity, (The Devil) found the bored monk, Boniface a top Vysehrad Hill. He propositioned the monk with a wager. The Devil said that he could fly to Rome, steal a column and return to Prague before the monk could complete the Lord's Prayer.

Now the monk, pious in nature and true to God would never gamble, especially with such a devilish sort. The Canon warned Boniface too of such dealings, but Boniface the monk was tired of his solitary lifestyle, he wanted some action!

'All right Devil,' said Boniface, 'You fly to Rome and I will recite the Lords Prayer, but don't try to trick me, as I have God on my side.'

'Ha!' Snickered the Devil. Thinking to himself that he would surely return in time. 'The bet will be One Thousand Korunas, off I go.'

Just as the monk said 'Amen', the Devil came over the top of the hill, spat in defiance and threw the pillar down in anger, where it broke into three pieces. He paid the monk (though he tried to cheat him) and Boniface put the money anonymously into the church collection box.

The Devil, still angry, has assigned a ghost to the site, it appears every second Friday at midnight in the form of a dog. The dog circles the pillars growling at the stones and disappears after a vain attempt to put the stones back together again.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.