Surah 88 The Overwhelming - Al-Ghashiya, 26 verses (Makka)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- Has the story reached thee of the overwhelming
- Some faces, that Day, will be humiliated,
- Labouring (hard), weary,-
- The while they enter the Blazing Fire,-
- The while they are given, to drink, of a boiling
- No food will there be for them but a bitter Dhari'
- Which will neither nourish nor satisfy hunger.
- (Other) faces that Day will be joyful,
- Pleased with their striving,-
- In a Garden on high,
- Where they shall hear no (word) of vanity:
- Therein will be a bubbling spring:
- Therein will be Thrones (of dignity), raised on
- Goblets placed (ready),
- And cushions set in rows,
- And rich carpets (all) spread out.
- Do they not look at the Camels, how they are made?-
- And at the Sky, how it is raised high?-
- And at the Mountains, how they are fixed firm?-
- And at the Earth, how it is spread out?
- Therefore do thou give admonition, for thou art one
- Thou art not one to manage (men's) affairs.
- But if any turn away and reject God,-
- God will punish him with a mighty Punishment,
- For to Us will be their return;
- Then it will be for Us to call them to account.
Surah 87 The Most High
Surah 88 The Overwhelming
Surah 89 The Dawn