This simple English recipe offers a sweet but simple cake that can be easily cut into squares and shared at a festival or picnic. It uses the gentler sweetener of honey, and incorporates the delightful crunch of poppy seeds in a whole wheat base for a delicious autumn dessert. These can even be used as a fancy alteration of the "cakes" one passes around in Lughnasadh rituals that are common this time of year.

Ingredients:

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter a 9 x 13 pan. Cream the butter and honey in a bowl. In another bowl, mix together the flour, powder, and poppy seeds. Then add to the creamed butter mixture a little at a time in four installments, alternating with the eggs and mixing thoroughly after each addition. Pour into the pan and smooth the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and cut into squares for serving.

Note: This recipe does not lend itself too well to cooking evenly, especially in the middle, so if you'd like to avoid getting the edges a bit too toasty while the middle is a bit too underdone, try small loaf pans instead!

Yield: 15-20 small squares
Source: Paraphrased from Duff, Seasons of the Witch
Use for: Lughnasadh

Pagan recipes

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.