NSS (Novell Storage Service)
NSS is ideal for organizations with large data storage requirements. There are a few drawbacks I mention later, but for now I will try to list some of the benefits.
- Handle file size of up to 2 GB.
- File storage up to 8 TB.
- Placement of unlimited files in a single directory
- Access to data in files is much faster.
- Minimum of 32MB of RAM required.
- Useing NWCONFIG utility NSS volumes combine free space on multipule storage devices as a single volume.
- Unlimited NSS volumes allowed per NetWare partition.
- Provides no support for Transaction Tracking System
- Does not support software implimintations of Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID).
- NSS does not support file compresion
You ask, "Why, would anyone write this stuff down?
I can only tell you that Monday next, I will be giving a lecture covering NetWare 5.1 Advanced Administration.
Not extremely boring, but it's a living.
Editor's Note: Novell Storage Services was ported to SuSE Linux in 2004 following Novell's acquisition of SuSE.