Lech Kaczyński, jurisconsult, professor of labour legislation, Polish politician and the President of the Republic of Poland.

He was born on 18 June 1949 in Warsaw, he died on 10/04/2010 in still unexplained and abstruse air crash in Smolensk (Russia).

Minister of Justice of the Republic of Poland between 2000 and 2001, the President of the Capital City of Warsaw from 2002 to 2005.

President of the Republic of Poland between 2005 and 2010.

First time he became famous was in age of thirteen. The young Lech Kaczynski together with his brother Jaroslaw, played a lead role in a movie that was filmed in Lodz City in Poland and entitled “O dwóch takich, co ukradli księżyc” ("About those two who stole the moon", 1962). As the President of Poland, he often visited Lodz City and he remained the friend of that city.

In late 1970s, Lech Kaczynski as a junior jurisconsult, was fighting for the respect of the rights of the Polish workers in KOR Organization (the Polish Organization that supported the laws of the Polish workers in the battle against the communist authority, Komitet Obrony Robotników, KOR).

He was one of the co – founders and one of the main members of the Solidarity Movement in Poland as well („Solidarność”).

Lech Kaczynski was married to Maria (maiden name: Maria Mackiewicz). Maria Kaczynska was an economist, she spoke a few European Languages, very good English and French, good Spanish and Russian. She played the grand piano as well. Together they had one daughter – Marta, and two granddaughters: Ewa and Martyna.

President Lech Kaczynski and his twin brother Jaroslaw were the main founders of one of the main Polish political Party - "PiS" ("Prawo i Sprawiedliwość", that means "Law and Justice"). Today (December 2013) the "Prawo i Sprawiedliwość" is the most popular political party in Poland. According to the newest public opinion poll almost 32% of Poles will vote for "Prawo i Sprawiedliwość". None of the other political parties has obtained the better result for last few months.

President Lech Kaczynski was an originator of bringing help to Georgia during the war with Russia in 2008 (he initiated gathering allies to help Georgia). He persuaded the other heads of states and countries to take part in salvage and defense of independence of Georgia. Finally on 12 August 2008, President Lech Kaczynski organised himself an expedition to Georgia with the President of Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Ukraine to support the President of Georgia - Micheil Saakaszwili during invasion of Russia. In these days the capital of Gergia - Tbilisi was surrounded by 100 000 of Russian soldiers and inside Georgian territory there were about 2000 Russian tanks, (please watch the original speech at Tbilisi in Polish and Georgian languages, try to feel and sense the atmosphere of Georgia in these difficult days: http://youtu.be/ZAI7Yym9dvY).

It is worth to know that Andy Garcia made a very good movie about the War in Georgia and this movie was dedicated to the President Lech Kaczynski, (please see the trailer: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjmkft_five-days-of-war-5-days-of-august-trailer-hd_shortfilms).

Let us hear a few opinions of well - known politicians and popular newspapers about Lech Kaczyński:

1) José Manuel Durão Barroso:

2) Micheil Saakaszwili, the President of Georgia:

    "Our Nation has no doubt; he was a real hero. We saw his heroism. He found the courage in very difficult moment to do that what many people was not able to do", (please watch an interview as well in English: http://youtu.be/R5sQqE9oktI)

3) The Economist:

    "His values, attitudes, habits and behaviour were those of the pre-war Polish middle class: a culture so strong that it survived decapitation and evisceration under Soviet and Nazi occupation, and the regime installed at gunpoint after the war...";
    "CHARMING in private, awkward in public, scrupulously honest and a bit out of touch, Lech Kaczynski exemplified the strengths and weaknesses of the political milieu from which he came. His formative years were the long bleak decades of Poland's communist era, first in Warsaw and then in provincial Gdansk. He and his twin brother, Jaroslaw, idolised their father, a veteran of the Polish Home Army, which fought an underground war against the German occupiers, only to be persecuted by the Soviet “liberators”. Each night at bedtime, the two boys used to sing the country's national anthem: “Poland is not yet lost, while we still live.”..."

4) Piotr Duda, current chairman of "Solidarity":

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.