(Sir) John Everett Millais lived from 1829 to 1896 and was a painter, part of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood. He helped found this brotherhood in 1848 with Holman Hunt and Dante Gabriel Rossetti.

Millais was a child prodigy in the field of art and entered the Royal Academy Schools at 11. Millais painted the most well-known portrait of critic John Ruskin, and later married Ruskin's wife once the couple's marriage was over. As his work grew more popular, he began producing pictures of society ladies, children and lovers (the latter two not together). Another popular work of his was "St. Isumbras at the Ford," depicting a knight and two kids on a very large horse. Artist Frederick Sandys drew a caricature once of this painting, depicting Millais as the knight, Rossetti and Holman Hunt as the children, and a donkey as John Ruskin.

He was also considered a great illustrator, and he was elected a member of the Royal Acedemy in 1863.

Some of his pictures include "Cymonn and Iphigenia," "Lorenzo and Isabella," "Ophelia," "Return of the Dove to the Ark," "The Blind Girl," "Autumn Leaves" and plenty more.

Help for this node came from www.speel.demon.co.uk

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.