Issued by the National Weather Service when fog limits visibility to less than one-quarter mile, or in some parts of the country to less than one-eighth mile.

This has been on the news, the TV, and the NWS forecast discussions for at least a week here in the Central Valley of California. This valley is shaped like a long thin dish, and when the fog settles in, like water, there is no way for it to get out. Sometimes the fog comes in in creepy streamers, like the Angel of Death in 'The 10 Commandments'. Sometimes it rolls in in globs and lines, perpendicular to the roads, leaving gaps in the vision of the road. On calm nights after the rain, it settles into low spots, only a foot or two thick. Walking in the park on these cold nights is like walking through 'heaven' in a cheap movie. But this week the fog has been in solid, at least 100 feet thick. In the days it has thinned, and some afternoons you could see a pale blue sky for a few hours. But every night it came swirling back in. In two days the fog is expected to lift, as a blast of arctic air comes down the coast. Some areas of warm lowland California will reach the 20s - maybe the valley will even see a few snow flurries. Its been many years since measurable snow has fallen here. I would welcome the change.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.