Famed technology author, columnist, and technical writing demigod. He graduated with honors from Yale in 1985, with a degree in music, of all things. In his senior year, the first Macintosh came out, and he picked one up. He was immediately hooked. Pogue co-designed (and wrote the documentation for) the music notation/composition software Finale.

After college, he moved to New York and worked on several Broadway shows, including Kiss of the Spider Woman. But work for an aspiring composer was hard to come by, and rather than take a food service job, he started a business teaching his colleagues in the theatre how to use their Macs. Among his clients were Stephen Sondheim, Mia Farrow, and Gary Oldman. He also did some tech writing on the side.

In 1988, he started writing for Macworld magazine, cranking out the Desktop Critic column each month for the next twelve years. In 1992 he wrote Macs for Dummies, the second book in the Dummies series for IDG Books.

He has gone on to write over a dozen books, including six Dummies books, Palm Pilot: The Ultimate Guide, the novel Hard Drive, Mac Secrets, The Microsloth Joke Book, and a number of books on stage magic and music, his other two loves.

Most recently, he began working for computer publishing gods O'Reilly and Associates. He wrote the excellent Crossing Platforms book before launching the Missing Manuals series with the company.

In late November of 2000, Pogue announced that he was leaving Macworld to become the personal-technology columnist at the New York Times. His articles will be featured on the front page of the newspaper's "Circuits" section each Thursday.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.