American architect: b. Newport, Rhode Island, 1862; d. 1938.


He studied at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1880-81) and in the office of H.H. Richardson.


In 1884, with George Lewis Heins , he took over the architectural works of his father, John La Farge. He was a member of the firm Heins & La Farge from 1886 to 1910, whose principal work is the Episcopal Cathedral of Saint John the Divine. Other works include the Houghton Chapel at Wellesley College; the Roman Catholic chapel at West Point; and Saint Matthew’s Church, Washington, D.C., Church of the Blessed Sacrament, Providence, Rhode Island; and the Roman Catholic Cathedral, Seattle, Washington.

La Farge was director of American Institute of Architects; president of Architectural League, New York; and trustee of American Academy in Rome.


His children went on to become well known in their own right, including his daughter Margaret La Farge Osborn who’s work is displayed at the Buckminster Fuller Institute; his son Christopher La Farge, an architect who was better known as poet and novelist; and his son Oliver La Farge, an archaeologist who won a Pulitzer Prize in 1929 for his first novel, Laughing Boy. His partner G. L. Heins married his sister Aime La Farge.

Source: La Farge, Christopher Grant; The Encyclopedia Americana, volume 16 of 30 volumes; The Americana Corp., New York.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.