American architect: b. Newport, Rhode Island, 1862; d. 1938.

Education:

He studied at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1880-81) and in the office of H.H. Richardson. Works:

In 1884, with George Lewis Heins , he took over the architectural works of his father, John La Farge. He was a member of the firm Heins & La Farge from 1886 to 1910, whose principal work is the Episcopal Cathedral of Saint John the Divine. Other works include the Houghton Chapel at Wellesley College; the Roman Catholic chapel at West Point; and Saint Matthew’s Church, Washington, D.C., Church of the Blessed Sacrament, Providence, Rhode Island; and the Roman Catholic Cathedral, Seattle, Washington.

La Farge was director of American Institute of Architects; president of Architectural League, New York; and trustee of American Academy in Rome.

Family:

His children went on to become well known in their own right, including his daughter Margaret La Farge Osborn who’s work is displayed at the Buckminster Fuller Institute; his son Christopher La Farge, an architect who was better known as poet and novelist; and his son Oliver La Farge, an archaeologist who won a Pulitzer Prize in 1929 for his first novel, Laughing Boy. His partner G. L. Heins married his sister Aime La Farge.


Source: La Farge, Christopher Grant; The Encyclopedia Americana, volume 16 of 30 volumes; The Americana Corp., New York.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.