Founded in 1875, Brigham Young University is sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. BYU is part of the LDS Church Educational System, which serves more than one million people worldwide in higher education, seminaries and institutes, elementary and secondary schools, and continuing education and literacy programs. The system includes the BYU campus in Provo, Utah; the BYU-Hawaii campus in Laie, Hawaii; Ricks College (now BYU-Idaho) in Rexburg, Idaho; the LDS Business College in Salt Lake City; and elementary or secondary schools in many countries, including Mexico, Fiji, New Zealand, Tonga, and Western Samoa.

BYU is located 45 miles south of Salt Lake City in Provo, Utah. A city of 110,000, Provo is situated 4,560 feet above sea level. The campus sits at the western base of the Wasatch Mountains, part of the Rocky Mountain Range. Utah Valley offers a beautiful setting for a population of more than 340,000, with 11,750-foot Mount Timpanogos on the east and 23-mile-long Utah Lake on the west.

As a matter of personal commitment, students, staff, and faculty of BYU are expected to demonstrate in daily living on and off campus those moral virtues encompassed in the gospel of Jesus Christ. These include being honest, living a chaste and virtuous life, obeying the law and university policy, respecting others, observing the Church's Word of Wisdom (which includes abstaining from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, and substance abuse), and supporting others in their commitment to comply with the BYU Honor Code.

Directly quoted from the Fact File on BYU's official website http://www.byu.edu

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.