An album put together by Brian Wilson in a couple of hours, to satisfy Capitol records' desperation for more Beach Boys 'product' while Brian was in the pre-planning stages for Pet Sounds.

The band (plus session drummer Hal Blaine on bongoes and Dean Torrence of Jan And Dean) bashed through a selection of oldies-but-mouldies and current favourites, overdubbed some 'party noise' on the top, and gave away a free bag of crisps with every copy.

The philistinism of the general public was confirmed when this became one of the band's most successful albums, and Barbara Ann one of their biggest-selling singles, at the expense of Pet Sounds and the singles from that.

Given what it is, however, it's OK, and Devoted To You is beautiful...
Tracklist:

  1. Hully Gully
  2. I Should Have Known Better
  3. Tell Me Why
  4. Papa Oom Mow Mow
  5. Mountain Of Love
  6. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
  7. Devoted To You
  8. Alley Oop
  9. There's No Other (Like My Baby)
  10. Medley:I Get Around/Little Deuce Coupe
  11. The Times They Are A Changin'
  12. Barbara Ann

The album is available on a Capitol records twofer CD with the simillarly inessential Stack O' Tracks - an album of backing tracks

The line-up for this album was Brian Wilson, Carl Wilson, Dennis Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine and Bruce Johnston (Dean Torrence sings lead uncredited on Barbara Ann)

Previous album - Summer Days... And Summer Nights!
Next album - Pet Sounds

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.