Airports aren't the only place you have to deal with security and metal detectors.

I have on my key chain a knife I use to open all the boxes I get in the mail at work containing cool computer parts. This knife is one of those imitation miniature swiss army knives that they pass out at conventions with somebody's logo on it that rubs off in a few weeks if you carry it all the time.

Anyway, this knife is not nearly quite as sharp as your average dull letter opener, and about two inches long (the case, the blade is shorter). It does a good job on cellophane tape, though.

Anyway, I got called on jury duty. They had installed metal detectors at the courthouse about a year earlier because an annoyed defendant decided that the judge and lots of other people deserved the contents of his gun after the jury convicted him.

The first day, anticipating a long boring day in the waiting room, I brought a bag full of books to study, and for some reason dumped my keys in with the books. The whole thing went through the X-ray machine when I came in, when I went out for lunch, when I came back for lunch, etc... Towards the end of the first day, I was put on a panel and then actually selected for a jury.

So, the second day, I came without the book bag. I go through the metal detector, without emptying my pockets, since my wallet full of change hadn't set it off the previous day. BEEEP BEEP BEEP!! Ho boy. I get converged on by three bailiffs, for whom this obviously was the high point of their day. No, silently walking through the detector without my keys wasn't good enough. Out come the wands, one each. Meanwhile, here I am, emptying my pockets (a little late) into their basket. Of course, the wands show nothing. But then they see the stupid two inch knife on my key ring that would bend and break if I tried to cut myself with it. Boy did they freak!! You'd think I brought in a machine gun or something. For a moment there, I thought they were going to cuff me or something. I was a juror, not a suspect!! I had even brought it in (through the x-ray machine) repeatedly the day before.

Anyway, one of the bailiff's very reluctantly confiscated it (rather than destroying it or arresting me, which they would have liked better, I'm sure), and I got it back on my way home. Since then, I've always been extremely paranoid about what's on my key ring when I anticipate metal detectors.

I suppose this is nothing in comparison to the reaction my Uncle got when he accidently brought his tools of the trade into a court house to pay a traffic ticket. (He worked for a meat packing plant. What he didn't give a second thought to was probably not close to street legal, let alone accepted in a court house.)

IMHO, the airports should have a vending machine full of prepaid mailing tubes right next to the metal detectors. If they find something they won't let you take, you should be able to pop it in a mailing tube, address it to yourself, and drop it in the mailbox next to the vending machine. No fuss, no loss. It would make everyone happy, and probably give the airport a few more pennies.

2004 update: I saw an article in the paper that someone is now doing exactly this. Vending machine full of postage pre-paid padded envelopes next to the metal detector. Hmmf. And they didn't even give me credit.