Ahh, the glory that is the Long Island Iced Tea. If you are a big hipster martini fan, well; you are... no, I'll just keep that to myself. The official mix for this ambrosia is:


Long Island Iced Tea


3/4 oz. each: Rum, Gin, Vodka, Tequila, & Triple Sec, Sour Mix, Splash of Cola

Shake liquors with Sour mix, Pour in Hurricane or Large glass, Add splash of Cola, Garnish with a Lemon wedge

As all the initiated know, a true "LIIT" is made with a long pour, meaning that you get about 5 shots of booze in it, a splash of sour and a thimble full of coke. The result is a drink that could strip paint off of an oil tanker and gets you so drunk the cabby has to pull your wallet out of your back pocket to find your home address. Due to the gin involved this is also the drink of lovers; this is because of the unusual properties this particular alcohol has:
  1. It makes your face numb like you fell asleep face in the snow
  2. You remember nothing the next day, not even the trans-sexual stripper or how you got in jail.
This combine with regular drunkenness makes people very daring and a bit randy. Get two of these into a nun and you are pretty sure to spear a penguin by 4AM. Not that I'd know.

The other devious thing about them is depending on how expertly they are mixed, you can't taste the alcohol at all; this usually fools people into thinking that they can drink more than they should, which can be really really funny (contingent on how much you enjoy the suffering of others).

Anyway, this brings us to the "Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Long Island Iced Tea". This is when the bartender decides to try to trick you into thinking that you got a strong drink by pouring half shots and then dumping in an ass-ton of sour to fill in the difference. The sour is "strong" so some people believe that the drink is "strong" when really, the only thing strong about it is the heart burn that you are going to get in the morning.

When you get a drink like this TAKE IT BACK . There is no excuse for a trained bartender to make you crap drinks like that unless you get a side order of TUMS or a courtesy stomach pump for free.


Re mrichich: Unless you go to the correct bar! If you go to "Bricks" and you don't know the bartender, you are going to get a HUGE tumbler half full of sour; it was the worse LIIT I have ever had. On the other hand, the guy that worked at "DV8" while I was there kicked ass. He free poured his drinks like a mad scientist with narcolepsy.
In the end it is really dependant on the bar and the tender.