The Cube (1969)

Director: Jim Henson
Writers: Jim Henson, Jerry Juhl
Starring: Hugh Webster, Richard Schall, and Rex Sevenoaks


Jim Henson's "The Cube" was an hour long film made exclusively for the television, and first premiered on February 23, 1969. The influence of Henson's experimental phase can clearly be felt in this film, as "The Cube" often breaks the fourth wall, both figuratively and literally. The film delves into discussions of the then-current understanding of physics, of the nature of self and society, and even into the nature of the medium of television itself.

"The Cube" begins with an unnamed man looking into the camera, asking if anyone is there. He then muses on the strange situation in which he finds himself, and eventually begins to encounter a variety of figures for whom logic only seems to be a secondary concern, if at all. He converses with everyone who enters the cube; however, every encounter he has only serves to remind him of the absurdity of the situation in which he has found himself. Eventually, he manages to leave the cube...and I'll leave the ending for the viewer.


As of October 10, 2011, it can be found at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6203080879952576646.