The life line is one of three primary lines (the other two being the Head Line and the Heart Line) within palmistry and the most well known. The life line is related to the physical vitality of a person and to a much lesser degree, the lifespan (though the Health Line is a better indicator).

The Life line starts on the inside of the palm between the index finger and the thumb and bends around the thumb and the Mount of Venus. In the diagram below, it is the only line present.

   _.-._        
 _| | | |      
| | | | |      
| | | | |      
|       | _  
|    .-'/`/  
|   '    /    
 \  '.  /      
  |    | 

The length of the line is proportional to the energy reserves. A strong curve down indicates strength, while a line that is straight shows lack of stamina. The wider the arc, the more outgoing a person.

Within palmistry, the lines are seen as 'energy flows' between the mounts (the sources of energy). A life line that curves around the Mount of Venus suggests enthusiasm and a happy home life. A line that runs to the Mount of the Moon (in the heel of the hand) suggests imagination.

The shape of the line is also important. If the life line is thin or wavery suggests uneven vitality. A Life Line that is chained (appears to be made of links) suggests a worrisome person as do small lines crossing the life line. Lines branching upwards were recovered from while lines branching downwards are waisted energy.

As with any line on the hand, the position of the mark indicates the time the action took place or is to take place. A mark at the start of the line refers to childhood while at the end of the line refers to old age.