The Danish language, like Swedish, Norwegian, Icelandic and Faroese, is a member of the northern (Scandinavian) branch of the Germanic language group. Written Danish bears a strong resemblance to these languages (the biggest resemblance is to the Bokmål variant of Norwegian.)

Learners of the language will find Danish's evolution in pronounciation the hardest to follow or understand, however. It has been compared to hearing a Norwegian mumbling, and this is due to softening of the sounds /t/, /p/, /d/, /k/, /g/, and /b/, and also the Stød -- somewhat similar to a glottal stop.

Gramatically, however, Danish has the same general rules and syntax as both the Germanic and Scandinavian languages. Like Swedish it has two genders -- common and neuter -- and like the Norwegian and Swedish it inflects the definite article by way of suffixes to the noun.

Like German, Danish has a polite form of address -- using the personal pronouns De and Dem -- generally used when speaking to senior citizens and officials -- and a polite form (du and dig) when speaking to anyone else.

As with Norwegian Danish uses the characters å, æ and ø, which will be found at the back of a dictionary. The character å became "official" after language reforms in 1948 -- before then the town Åbenrå was spelled Aabenraa (this was a major point of contention with the inhabitants). These also included the dropping of capitals on nouns, and some other provisions.