user since
Sat Aug 23 2003 at 01:13:11 (20.7 years ago )
last seen
Wed Oct 6 2004 at 01:42:14 (19.6 years ago )
number of write-ups
3 - View blackstjohn's writeups (feed)
level / experience
0 (Initiate) / 27
most recent writeup
Island of the Sequined Love Nun
Send private message to blackstjohn

Nodes that may come in handy:
->Everything Quests: Film Reviews.
->One Thousand Clowns.
->Fear in the Night.
->Werner Herzog.
->Fitzcarraldo.
->Swept from the Sea.
->Gods And Monsters.
->Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (Spirited Away).
->Angst.
->The History of Science Fiction.
->Situationist International.
->E2 Quick Start.
->Everything FAQ.
->Everything University.
->Link and Link.
->Pick Titles Carefully.
->Read Me First: Getting Started on E2.
->Node What You Know.
->Node What You Don't Know.
->The Power Structure of Everything2.
->100 Best Movies You've Never Heard Of.
->E2 Guide to music you've never heard of.
->The Jazz Beatnik Connection.
->The Ballad of Cable Hogue.
->La Bete Humaine.
->The Big Combo (noir).
->Black Narcissus.
->The Brood.
->The Company of Wolves.
->Burn! (Queimada).
->Andrei Rublyov.
->Ulysses.
->haruspex.
->Ken Russell.
->Colossus: The Forbin Project.
->Goodfellas.
->12 Angry Men.
->Arsenic and Old Lace.
->Cool Hand Luke.
->Attack Of The 50-Foot Woman.
->Attack Of The 50-Foot Woman.
->Curse of the Swamp Creature.
->MST3K DAP.


Writeups:
->The Isle.
->Funny Games.

Future Writeups:
->heterarchy.
->Suspiria, by Miranda Sex Garden.
->Steven Brown.
->Death In June.


What's the point?

What's the point of being here. To belong to E2?

Maybe it's to feel that I belong to something, which, in itself, is something I've been trying to avoid for some years now.

Of course, the "official" reason (the one I give myself, at least), is to try to improve my writing, and my English, and my writing in English, which I feel needs a lot of working on. Meanwhile, I'm also lazy as hell. I mean, I've got to face it, in the time I've been registered to E2, I didn't write that many nodes (2 or 3, maybe). Why? Why did I bothered to register in the first place, when I just knew, deep down inside, that this is how it was going to be?

And the writeups I made... will I please just take a look at them? They're film reviews, something which I have mixed feelings about doing, and which I should never have tackled without being sure. I mean, what the hell do I know about films to review them. Sure, I enjoy watching a movie, every once in a while. But that hardly makes me a full-blown film reviewer. I've tried to make it sort of like an assignment, force myself to write something, anything. Only guideline was that I should be true.

There's no one here but myself, so who's to judge me and my writeups? A bunch of characters on a screen? Well, that actually feels kind of scary--you know being judged by those characters, reading what they have to say in votes and what else... In fact, I reckon that's the reason I haven't been all that busy writing writeups. Like McFly, the Elder, in Back to the Future. The fear that when I do write something up, it wouldn't stand tall. This way, since nobody is seeing it, I can just go on and keep telling myself that I know how to write, I just can't be bothered to do it because, y' know, there's so much I must do instead.

And that takes me right back to where I started: why am I writing this? I don't plan on becoming a writer, I already have a job (and in a completely opposite area, now that I mention it--energy management). If I just wanted to practice writing in English, I needn't publish my writings. Ah, but then how would I know if I could really write or not? WHAT THE HELL DO I CARE? WHAT THE HELL DOES ANYBODY CARE?

I'm here under a made-up name. Nobody (I think) can trace that back to me. I can write anything I please.

But then again, I think I couldn't bear to be heavily downvoted, or something of that sort.


Why Publish?