IMX-101 is a new high explosive designed by the U.S. Army and BAE Systems, expected to be first fielded in 2011. It is intended for use in explosive shells and other munitions. 'IMX' stands for Insensitive Munitions eXplosive.

IMX-101 is intended to replace the current TNT and Composition B used by the U.S. in explosive artillery shells. The reason for the replacement is that IMX-101 is even more stable than TNT, which when invented was hailed as famously insensitive to shock and other conditions which would reliably detonate other high explosives of the day such as guncotton and nitroglycerine. The new explosive will reduce accidental detonation from poor handling or other shock in storage, and will even lower the likelihood that munitions will be detonated by nearby explosion. In tests, shells filled with IMX-101 did not detonate even when struck by the shaped charge of a RPG. This means that transporting and storing munitions filled with this compound will be safer in combat zones.

One advantage of IMX-101 is that it is compatible with current fuzing systems. At present, it has been certified for use in 155mm artillery shells, and is in testing in smaller 105mm shells. Another compound, IMX-104, has been announced (but not tested) for use in smaller munitions.

IMX-101 was developed by the Army and BAE at the Army's Holston Army Ammunition Plant in Kingsport, TN.

Sources: