The strange paralysis that had held him was broken. He took a step toward the door, then checked himself. The footfalls were resumed. Branner was coming back. He was not running. The tread was even more deliberate and measured than before. Now the stairs began to creak again. A groping hand, moving along the balustrade, came into the bar of moonlight; then another, and a ghastly thrill went through Griswell as he saw that the other hand gripped a hatchet -- a hatchet which dripped blackly. Was that Branner who was coming down that stair?

Yes! The figure had moved into the bar of moonlight now, and Griswell recognized it. Then he saw Branner's face, and a shriek burst from Griswell's lips. Branner's face was bloodless, corpse-like; gouts of blood dripped darkly down it; his eyes were glassy and set, and blood oozed from the great gash which cleft the crown of his head!


Classic horror short story, written by Robert E. Howard in 1934 and published posthumously in Weird Tales in 1938.

The tale involves two men from New England, John Branner and his friend Griswell, who are traveling in the South and, stuck out in the wilderness with nowhere else to stay, decide to spend the night in a deserted plantation mansion they run across in the Louisiana forest. Griswell awakens in the night to find Branner walking up the stairs in an apparent trance. And in a few minutes, Branner comes back downstairs -- dead but still walking, carrying the same bloody hatchet that has been used to split his head open. Griswell flees into the night.

He's fortunate to run into the local sheriff, Buckner, who takes Griswell back into the mansion, where they find Branner lying dead and holding the hatchet, which is now buried in the floorboards where Griswell had been lying. Buckner tells Griswell that the house is called Blassenville Manor after the cruel family that used to live there until the last of the family fled the mansion. Since then, it's gained an unsavory reputation, and it's whispered that the pigeons that infest the mansion are actually the evil souls of the Blassenvilles. After questioning and investigation, Buckner concludes that Griswell is innocent of the murder, and they decide to spend another night in the mansion.

The next night, Griswell and Buckner start out visiting an elderly black man named Jacob who has a reputation as a voodoo priest. They get him to tell them about the Blassenvilles and about the creatures called zuvembies -- even though speaking of them brings a terrible death curse. Will Griswell and Buckner be able to uncover the terrible secret of Blassenville Manor? Or will they too join the flocks of pigeons from hell?

So that's the plot. What makes it all so special?

Well, here's the main thing. It's a damn scary story. I don't mean "scary for its time," the way a lot of old ghost stories lose modern audiences in archaic language. I mean it's damn scary. Descriptions are direct but moody -- you can feel what it's like inside the old mansion or outside in the Lousiana forest.

And you can feel the fear when the reanimated Branner comes stomping down that staircase, when Griswell is under the monster's control, when Jacob puts his hand down on that fateful stick. It's not esoteric or theoretical -- it's grim and visceral and bloody and fearful.

This was actually the first of Robert E. Howard's stories that I ever read. The Conan movies with Arnold Schwarzeneggar had basically convinced me that Howard wasn't a smart writer, that he was just good for sword-swinging brutality. Someone recommended I read this, and I didn't expect much. "Pigeons? From Hell? That's the dumbest title for a horror story ever."

Cue: me, after reading the story. Slack-jawed in amazement, wonder, and admiration. One of the scariest stories I'd ever read, and it was three-quarters of a century old. I've read other Howard books since then, and it's been wonderful to discover how mistaken my original assumptions were. He's an outstanding writer, even if he's often shockingly racist and politically incorrect for modern audiences.

"Pigeons from Hell" has been adapted several times -- it was the basis for an episode of Boris Karloff's "Thriller" series in June 1961, and it's been adapted for comics twice. Scott Hampton wrote a graphic novel of the story for Eclipse Comics in 1988, and there was a four-issue miniseries by Joe R. Lansdale and Nathan Fox that was published by Dark Horse Comics in 2008.

Favorite trivia: While Howard defined a "zuvembie" as basically a female zombie, the term was used by Marvel Comics in the 1970s to get around the Comics Code Authority's ban on the depiction of zombies.

horrorquest