user since
Tue May 28 2002 at 10:54:50 (21.9 years ago )
last seen
Sat Jul 20 2002 at 00:22:50 (21.8 years ago )
level / experience
0 (Initiate) / 0
specialties
Programme and Project Management
school/company
Petie Consulting Ltd.
motto
Integrity, Quality and Value
Send private message to David Petie

EDUCATION 1979 – 1984: Lancashire Polytechnic
BA (Hons) Business Studies 2.II
1990 – 1992: Open University
Masters in Business Administration


CONFERENCES & PUBLICATIONS Value Management and the Ethical PM, PMI Europe 2002

SUMMARY

David is an experienced manager of business change, combining Business Performance Improvement skills with a solid background in IT. He has managed over forty projects in his career in a variety of different industries, and for a large range of clients. (A summary of some of the more recent projects is attached.)

David has led three massive re-engineering projects in the Financial Services Sector, which were focused on providing end-to-end step change performance. This required budgets of many millions to address systems redesign, process improvement, and re-training. David has also managed many IT projects, from ERP to Preventive Maintenance system selection and implementation.

He was recruited into the KPMG’s Centre for Manufacturing Excellence in 1996 as an ERP Consultant and moved to KPMG’s Financial Sector consulting in 1998.

After six years as a Management Consultant David has started his own consulting firm specialising in helping companies with their Project and Programme Management Capability.

References are available upon request.


CAREER HISTORY

April, 2002 (just appointed)
Visiting Lecturer on the John Moore University MBA Programme

January, 2002 to present
CEO of Petie Consulting Ltd.
PETIE CONSULTING LTD., LIVERPOOL

David has established a consulting practice with three colleagues that provides systems and methods to help companies develop their project and programme management capability. His team has developed a methodology which is distributed on the internet and they also provide a web based Project Management system solution.

July, 2001 to December, 2001
SOLE TRADER providing general consulting services

David worked as an independent consultant.

January, 1996 to July, 2001
KPMG CONSULTING, ONE CANADA SQUARE, LONDON
Executive Consultant

Client: Britannic Assurance
Project: ‘Partnership for Life’
Role: Programme Manager
Duration: 9 months
This was a major change management programme involving a complete redefinition of the business. This involved major step change, involving systems, procedures and appropriate training, which all formed part of the project. Three new products were also launched as part of this initiative. The budget for this initiative was approximately £5M. David undertook the detailed planning and budgeting, establishing a project office, managing and leading a diverse team of project managers, and implementing an effective quality plan.

Client: Royal London Assurance
Project: Rectification Programme
Role: Programme Manager
Duration: 12 months
David spent nine months leading a rectification programme for Royal London Assurance. This involved retraining and assessing a sales force of nearly 1800 people, with a budget of £25m and a total staffing complement of over 250 people. A whole change management initiative was launched to raise the sales force’s product knowledge and understanding and introduce new compliant selling practices. This was the largest project of its type ever undertaken in the UK. David undertook the detailed planning and budgeting, establishing a project office, managing and leading a diverse team of project managers, and implementing an effective quality plan.

Client: Bank of Scotland
Project: General Ledger Migration
Role: Project Manager
Duration: 9 months
David led a General Ledger migration project for the Capital Bank credit card and loan division of the Bank of Scotland. He was responsible to the programme manager for functional requirements, contractor relationships, user acceptance testing and project office. The project involved establishing a programme and procedures with 3rd party suppliers, and programme-manage several strands of independent work: Chart of Accounts preparation; Data Mapping; system design and build; the migration and data conversion. He also ensured sign off of systems/user requirements documentation and established effective communication between FBS (the IT development supplier) and client operations.

Client: Bank of Scotland
Project: Developing E-brokerage proposition
Role: Lead Consultant
Duration: 6 months
David led a team to develop an e-brokerage proposition, which he presented to the Bank of Scotland Personal Banking Board. The team then put the proposition out to tender seeking a ‘click-through’ service. David visited several of the major on-line stockbroking firms in order to determine their capability and suitability for the Bank of Scotland and subsequently make a recommendation. The project was halted when the Halifax merger was announced.

Client: Pearson
Project: Outsourcing Distribution and Warehousing
Role: IT Project Manager
Duration: 3 months
David led an IT team to redesign the distribution processes of three operating companies within the Pearson group and evaluate the capability of four potential contractors, so that Pearson could outsource this element of its supply chain. This involved defining new processes and developing functional requirements in order that a suitable solution could be developed and agreed internally. David also undertook detailed IT audits of the short-listed contractors and advised Pearson on the capability and risk presented by each solution. In order to achieve this, David provided training and coaching in BPR techniques, transferring skills to the Pearson team.

November 1989 - 1995
RHM FOODS LTD (Manufacturer of branded grocery products)
During his employment with RHM Foods David held the following positions:

Business Development Manager
David spent some time developing new market propositions and identifying possible products for brokering.

Customer Services Project Manager
David led a project to develop a new strategy for the national sales force and implement his own recommendations.

Distribution Systems Project Manager
David implemented an EDI interface with the Multiples and ensured that the on-line ordering systems integrated effectively. He also chose and implemented an activity based costing tool for the logistics function.

Manufacturing Systems Project Manager
David was recruited into RHM for his specific knowledge of MRP systems and IT. He implemented 3 MRPII systems and led the design and implementation of a group-wide purchasing system. He also implemented Payroll, Time and Attendance, Preventive Maintenance and Finite Scheduling systems.

March 1988 - November 1989
JCB TRANSMISSIONS, Wrexham (Manufacturer of Axles and Gearboxes)
- Systems Controller

July 1985 - March 1988
MENTEC INTERNATIONAL LTD (System house, MRPII and Financial)
- Systems Consultant

July 1984 - July 1985
COMPUTER SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT LTD., London (Systems house, MRPII and Financial)
- Systems Analyst

April 1982 - April 1983
THE CUMBERLAND PENCIL COMPANY LTD, Keswick (manufacturing company)
- Industrial Trainee