A Spider in the Atrium

I work on the second floor of a two-story, shared office building.  In the large, circular common area, the floor is opened in the middle to reveal the first floor where a little atrium has been built.  The atrium has several plants, a small fountain, which is a little waterfall that runs over rocks, and even a couple of trees that reach above the plane of the second floor.  The walkway around the circular opening to the floor below has plants growing along the edge.  With the skylight overhead, it is actually very peaceful and serene.

Today, while walking through the common area, I noticed something new; a spider had built a new web.  The web was near the ceiling, next to the skylight, over the opening to the lower floor.  What struck me about this was that the bottom support of the web extends to the top of the trees, a distance of somewhere around at least twelve feet or so.

How did the spider get all the way to that spot?  It must have climbed along the edges, over the floor, up the wall and across the ceiling.  Then, after what must have been a considerable journey, it dares to lower itself such an immense distance to anchor its web.  What if the line snapped?  The whole journey would have to begin again, assuming the spider survived the fall.  How did it get to the tree?  The web isn't directly over the tree, but instead at an angle; the spider somehow had to swing over at least three to four feet to reach it.

What made the spider decide that that was a good location for its web?  The spot is so high and the construction of its web required such a long anchor that it is surprising, with all the effort and possibility of things going wrong, that it was even attempted.  At first glance, the task seems overwhelming and an impossibility.  And yet, there it is, glistening in the overcast sunlight from the skylight above, as a testament to the perseverance of the spider and perhaps all spider-kind.

Was the spider just not smart enough to realize how much effort it would be?  Or, perhaps it simply wasn't burdened by a racing mind, constantly doubting and questioning its efforts.  The spider has to eat, and to eat a web is needed, and therefore it just accomplished its task without even realizing the task was complicated, only that it was necessary.

Oh, to be like that spider.