1. verb "To spell a word". To arrange letters in the correct order to create words. English has a peculiarly esoteric and semi-phonetic system that creates a need for years of work before a given child can spell correctly, and even college graduates cannot spell many common words. The difficulty of English spelling gives rise to the phenomenons of spelling bees and spell checkers.

2. noun "To cast a spell". That which is done to enact magik. A word or set of words (or sometimes an action, set of actions, or actions and words together) that when spoken (or done) are supposed to have a supernatural effect.

3. verb "I'll spell you" To take over someone's task for them so that they can take a short break.

4. noun "Rest for a spell". A short amount of time, as in "stopping for a spell". Longer than a 'moment', but still indicating a temporary pause in a grander task or journey.

A spell, simply put, is any action designed to harness natural energy and put it to use in getting a desired result. There are many, many ways to "cast" a spell, but there are some things you should understand about casting spells before you attempt to cast one.

FIRST AND FOREMOST, you should seriously consider obeying the Rede and remembering the Threefold Law. You should never attempt any spell that will hurt someone else, and furthermore you should try to specifically focus during your spell on making sure that your result comes about without causing anyone harm. Most people won't cast a spell involving someone else without their permission or unless permission is understood. That's why "love spells" are out of the question. You should never try to "make" anyone feel something they wouldn't want to, or make anything happen that is against Nature; not only will it probably not work, but if it has any effect, it will just confuse or hurt the person, and probably their natural inclinations will take over if they ever strayed at all.

Spells make use of the forces already in motion and do their best to encourage change. The planet's daily, monthly, and yearly cycles must be incorporated into spells. Magick (spelled with a 'k' to distinguish it from what stage magicians do) is not really "otherworldly" because it is natural. Using it often requires a slight (or sometimes great) shift of consciousness, but it is completely of this realm and possible for everyone. No tools are necessary and spells do not have to be cast as large productions. A spell can be as simple as concentrating on wishing that someone will call you or dream about you; you don't have to light any candles to do it or anything like that, since every spell starts with your mind and can be finished with only your mind as well. Everything else is an extension, and sometimes a useful extension; some people have more trouble than others shifting their consciousness or focusing energy. But even if you don't have trouble with these things, doing a spell with tools and other special, more elaborate practices can increase effectiveness.

Through tools, concentration, energy-raising, and lots of practice, we can learn to set things in motion with the natural energy we all have, making the best of our position in the cycle and the universe. We can use spells to ask for blessings, to help other people, to lead us to increased knowledge, and a number of other things. That's all it is; it's no big mystery, it's not really "occult," we don't have "special powers" (any more than anyone could), and it's not anything evil, crazy, or even strange. Magick works because we believe and because we can successfully manipulate symbols and energies to open the channels we desire.

speedometer = S = spelling flame

spell n.

Syn. incantation.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Spell (?), n. [OE. speld, AS. speld a spill to light a candle with; akin to D. speld a pin, OD. spelle, G. spalten to split, OHG. spaltan, MHG. spelte a splinter, Icel. spjald a square tablet, Goth. spilda a writing tablet. Cf. Spillsplinter, roll of paper, Spell to tell the letters of.]

A spelk, or splinter.

[Obs.]

Holland.

 

© Webster 1913.


Spell, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Spelled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Spelling.] [AS. spelian to supply another's place.]

To supply the place of for a time; to take the turn of, at work; to relieve; as, to spell the helmsman.

 

© Webster 1913.


Spell, n.

1.

The relief of one person by another in any piece of work or wathing; also, a turn at work which is carried on by one person or gang relieving another; as, a spellat the pumps; a spell at the masthead.

A spell at the wheel isc called a trick. Ham. Nav. Encyc.

2.

The time during which one person or gang works until relieved; hence, any relatively short period of time, whether a few hours, days, or weeks.

Nothing new hass happened in this quarter, except the setting in of a severe spell of cold weather. Washington.

3.

One of two or more persons or gangs who work by spells.

[R.]

Their toil is so extreme that they can not endure it above four hours in a day, but are succeeded by spells. Garew.

4.

A gratuitous helping forward of another's work; as, a logging spell.

[Local, U.S.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Spell (?), n.[AS. spell a saying, tale, speech; akin to OS. & OHG. spel, Icel. spjall,Goth. spill. Cf. Gospel, Spell to tell the letters of.]

1.

A story; a tale.

[Obs.] "Hearken to my spell."

Chaucer.

2.

A stanza, verse, or phrase supposed to be endowed with magical power; an incantation; hence, any charm.

Start not; her actions shall be holy as You hear my spell is lawful. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Spell, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Spelled () or Spelt (); p. pr. & vb. n. Spelling.] [OE. spellen, spellien, tell, relate, AS. spellian, fr. spell a saying, tale; akin to MHG. spellen to relate, Goth. spilln.e Spell a tale. In sense 4 and those following, OE. spellen, perhaps originally a different word, and from or influenced by spell a splinter, from the use of a piece of wood to point to the letters in schools: cf. D. spellen to spell. Cf. Spell splinter.]

1.

To tell; to relate; to teach.

[Obs.]

Might I that legend find, By fairies spelt in mystic rhymes. T. Warton.

2.

To put under the influence of a spell; to affect by a spell; to bewitch; to fascinate; to charm.

"Spelled with words of power."

Dryden.

He was much spelled with Eleanor Talbot. Sir G. Buck.

3.

To constitute; to measure.

[Obs.]

The Saxon heptarchy, when seven kings put together did spell but one in effect. Fuller.

4.

To tell or name in their proper order letters of, as a word; to write or print in order the letters of, esp. the proper letters; to form, as words, by correct orthography.

The word "satire" ought to be spelled with i, and not with y. Dryden.

5.

To discover by characters or marks; to read with difficulty; -- usually with out; as, to spell out the sense of an author; to spell out a verse in the Bible.

To spell out a God in the works of creation. South.

To sit spelling and observing divine justice upon every accident. Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.


Spell, v. i.

1.

To form words with letters, esp. with the proper letters, either orally or in writing.

When what small knowledge was, in them did dwell, And he a god, who could but read or spell. Dryden.

2.

To study by noting characters; to gain knowledge or learn the meaning of anything, by study.

[Obs.]

Where I may sit and rightly spell Of every star that heaven doth shew, And every herb that sips the dew. Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.