R.E.M.'s twelfth album proper coming out 15 May 2001 in the U.S. Early reports have drawn comparisons to the group's 1992 classic Automatic for the People. Band manager Bertis Downs describes the sound of the album as "lush and melodic." Some describe the sounds as summer-like.

This comes after 1998's Up--the group's grandest foray into experimental sounds. While some may have hoped that the band would continue down the path of experimentation, early releases on the Internet show the album having more of the rock flavor found in earlier works. However, strings and keyboards are also prevalent.

Bono of U2 is amazed by the album, calling it "extraordinary" and saying he "felt ill" upon hearing it. "It's a very beautiful, awe-inspiring record. R.E.M. is a force."

The first single is Imitation of Life with a video of the one-shot variety where the camera never switches views. A monkey and Michael Stipe's uncatagorizable dancing are there. While comparisons of this song to The Great Beyond are obvious, most of the album doesn't follow this trend.

Mandatory Playlist:
1. The Lifting
2. I've Been High
3. All the Way to Reno (You're gonna be a star)
4. She Just Wants to Be
5. Disappear
6. Saturn Return
7. Beat a Drum
8. Imitation of Life
9. Summer Turns to High
10. Chorus and the Ring
11. I'll Take the Rain
12. Beachball

Now-defunct manufacturer and repackager of PC components, infamous for offering 100% rebates on some of their items and then going out of business. Their early single and dual-speed CD-ROM drives (with a proprietary interface card) were relatively inexpensive and typically very buggy. I've owned four of their products; a soundcard that appeared to blow away the competition (except half of the features didn't work due to driver problems), a 2X CD-ROM that worked all of four months before dying a very smelly death, a parallel-port phone adapter for a computer message system (works, but in a box at the moment) and a very cheap MIDI keyboard that was actually decent for the price ($25US). Should you see any Reveal items on Ebay, skip them no matter how good a bargain they appear to be.

Re*veal" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Revealed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Revealing.] [F. r'ev'eler, L. revelare, revelatum, to unveil, reveal; pref. re- re- + velare to veil; fr. velum a veil. See Veil.]

1.

To make known (that which has been concealed or kept secret); to unveil; to disclose; to show.

Light was the wound, the prince's care unknown, She might not, would not, yet reveal her own. Waller.

2.

Specifically, to communicate (that which could not be known or discovered without divine or supernatural instruction or agency).

Syn. -- To communicate; disclose; divulge; unveil; uncover; open; discover; impart; show. See Communicate. -- Reveal, Divulge. To reveal is literally to lift the veil, and thus make known what was previously concealed; to divulge is to scatter abroad among the people, or make publicly known. A mystery or hidden doctrine may be revealed; something long confined to the knowledge of a few is at length divulged. "Time, which reveals all things, is itself not to be discovered." Locke. "A tragic history of facts divulged." Wordsworth.

 

© Webster 1913.


Re*veal", n.

1.

A revealing; a disclosure.

[Obs.]

2. Arch.

The side of an opening for a window, doorway, or the like, between the door frame or window frame and the outer surface of the wall; or, where the opening is not filled with a door, etc., the whole thickness of the wall; the jamb.

[Written also revel.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.