Intentionally subjecting yourself to some species of punishment, be it physical or mental in nature, for purposes of symbolic resolution or abandonment. Examples include: consumption of mustard powder, swimming in the ocean when it's too fucking cold, self-mutilation, going on beer binges, fasting, spinning until you fall down and puke, abstaining from intercourse for as many minutes as you can stand.

See also: Stalin's purification of the Communist Party.

Purge (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Purged (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Purging (?).] [F. purger, L. purgare; purus pure + agere to make, to do. See Pure, and Agent.]

1.

To cleanse, clear, or purify by separating and carrying off whatever is impure, heterogeneous, foreign, or superfluous.

"Till fire purge all things new."

Milton.

2. Med.

To operate on as, or by means of, a cathartic medicine, or in a similar manner.

3.

To clarify; to defecate, as liquors.

4.

To clear of sediment, as a boiler, or of air, as a steam pipe, by driving off or permitting escape.

5.

To clear from guilt, or from moral or ceremonial defilement; as, to purge one of guilt or crime.

When that he hath purged you from sin. Chaucer.

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean. Ps. li. 7.

6. Law

To clear from accusation, or the charge of a crime or misdemeanor, as by oath or in ordeal.

7.

To remove in cleansing; to deterge; to wash away; -- often followed by away.

Purge away our sins, for thy name's sake. Ps. lxxix. 9.

We 'll join our cares to purge away Our country's crimes. Addison.

 

© Webster 1913.


Purge, v. i.

1.

To become pure, as by clarification.

2.

To have or produce frequent evacuations from the intestines, as by means of a cathartic.

 

© Webster 1913.


Purge, n. [Cf. F. purge. See Purge, v. t.]

1.

The act of purging.

The preparative for the purge of paganism of the kingdom of Northumberland. Fuller.

2.

That which purges; especially, a medicine that evacuates the intestines; a cathartic.

Arbuthnot.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.