A brand of tequila.
Available in three varieties: Silver, Repasado, and Anejo. Anejo is the best of them, and can usually be purchased for around $45 USD in the DC metro area.

The bottle is short, with a round neck and square body. The hand blown glass is imperfect, with air bubbles visible throughout the walls of the bottle. Each bottle also has a sticker with a hand printed serial number on one side.

Patrón is a deep amber in color, as all good tequilas must be. It has a smooth and rich flavor, with hints of buttery chocolate.


The owner of Paul Mitchell systems, John Paul DeJoria is co-owner of the award winning Patrón tequila. The shampoo man in 1989 founded Patrón Spirits Company with Martin Crowley, using Waeber blue agave from the hills of Jalisco, Mexico to produce what is claimed as the world's best sipping tequila. The Patrón Spirits Company now offers 11 labels to choose from, seven of which are of course are tequila, three are rum and a vodka made from wheat, rye, and potatoes.

Those fine spirits are; Patron Burdeos, Gran Patrón, Patrón Añejo, Patrón Reposado, Patrón Silver, Patrón XO Café, Patrón Citrónge, Pyrat Cask, Pyrat XO Reserve, Pyrat Pistol a Superior Blanco rum, and Ultimat Vodka.

"Under the stewardship of DeJoria and former Seagram executive Ed Brown, a new distilling factory was built in Jalisco. With the guidance of the renown master distiller Francisco Alcarez, the new factory was designed to be state-of-the-art with a core steeped in tradition."(Patrón Spirits)

The Waeber blue agave grown in Jalisco region produce higher "honey" or sugar content and can take up to nine years to mature properly. The bitter sprouts are removed before the agave is steam baked for 36 hours. They're steamed for a long time at low temperature to prevent caramelization that leaves the inside of the fruit under cooked, bitter, and starchy. The cooked agave is then macerated by large stone milling wheels so the juice can be absorbed by the mescal fibers. The fiber-juice is then placed in wooden fermentation vats, allowed to adjust naturally, then yeast is added to encourage the fermentation process. The fermentation lasts for 60 to 72 hours. Afterwards it's distilled twice in copper pot sills, and then balanced to 80 proof/40% Alc. by volume, fine filtered, and bottled in a unique numbered creation.

"If you like high-end spirits, you’ll want to try the Gran Patron Burdeos, an “ultra premium” anejo (aged) tequila that is triple distilled and then placed in barrels that were formerly home to Bordeaux wines, adding a hint of vanilla-berry softness and a Cognac flavor to the spirit. Sadly, the limited edition bottles are currently only available through restaurants, though they say the bottles may hit retail outlets for around $499 in the future."(Kat Valentine)

The Company’s headquarters is out of Las Vegas, Nevada, and also is spending too much on advertisement. These two things alone cause a high over head that is passed on to the consumer. According Patrón Spirits they're still, "outselling it’s nearest competitor by eight times in the United States alone."

The brands Cabo Wabo, Dos Lunas, Don Julio, and Corzo are slightly less in price but still as good.



www.patronspirits.com/
Kat Valentine, http://www.5280.com/blog/?p=2660, September 13, 2007.
http://www.patronspirits.com/en/functional/company/mission/
http://www.queenannewine.com/patteqmex.html
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080125053325AAE7MFG
Accessed 4/1/09


Pa"tron (?), n. [F., fr. L. patronus, fr. pater a father. See Paternal, and cf. Patroon, Padrone, Pattern.]

1.

One who protects, supports, or countenances; a defender.

"Patron of my life and liberty." Shak. "The patron of true holiness." Spenser.

2. Rom. Antiq. (a)

A master who had freed his slave, but still retained some paternal rights over him.

(b)

A man of distinction under whose protection another person placed himself.

(c)

An advocate or pleader.

Let him who works the client wrong Beware the patron's ire. Macaulay.

3.

One who encourages or helps a person, a cause, or a work; a furtherer; a promoter; as, a patron of art.

4. Eccl.Law

One who has gift and disposition of a benefice.

[Eng.]

5.

A guardian saint. -- called also patron saint.

6. Naut.

See Padrone, 2.

Patrons of Husbandry, the grangers. See Granger, 2.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pa"tron, v. t.

To be a patron of; to patronize; to favor.

[Obs.]

Sir T. Browne.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pa"tron, a.

Doing the duty of a patron; giving aid or protection; tutelary.

Dryden.

Patron saint R. C. Ch., a saint regarded as the peculiar protector of a country, community, church, profession, etc., or of an individual.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.