A Latin expression from roman law. It means "the place which".

The definitive magazine for everything related to the science fiction, fantasy, and horror publishing world.

Locus features news, reviews, and publishing schedules. Their website has a listing of thousands of authors and a very good index of their published works - both books and short stories. It can be found at www.locusmag.com

There is plenty of information on past awards winners (Stoker, Clarke, Philip K. Dick, Nebula, and Hugo) and current nominees.

There is also a large amount of information on author's events - book signings, appearances, readings, etc.

A must read for the serious SF&F or Horror fan.

The proxy use of the word locus instead of something unspeakable lead to a conversion of meaning in the German language. Beware that when you ask "Wo ist der Lokus?" ("Where's the locus?"), you will receive the directions not to the next newsstand offering SF magazines, but to the toilet.

Remember: God talks German when it's heavy business.

See also: The position on a chromosome of a gene or other chromosome marker; also, the DNA at that position. The use of locus is sometimes restricted to mean regions of DNA that are expressed. See expression.


From the BioTech Dictionary at http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/. For further information see the BioTech homenode.

Lo"cus (?), n.; pl. Loci (#), & Loca (#). [L., place. Cf. Allow, Couch, Lieu, Local.]

1.

A place; a locality.

2. Math.

The line traced by a point which varies its position according to some determinate law; the surface described by a point or line that moves according to a given law.

Plane locus, a locus that is a straight line, or a circle. -- Solid locus, a locus that is one of the conic sections.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.