The Lark is a small two person dinghy mostly popular in England. However the Lark is also used in U.S. college sailing. Two schools which currently sail Larks are Tufts and Harvard. They were used in the 2000 College Nationals with great successes.

The primary charateristics of a Lark are its low freeboard and tapered mast. Both of of these features make it very different to sail than other college boats such as the 420 and FJ. Between the tapered rig and high aspect ratio foils the Lark is a very efficient design, and the recent redesign makes it even more compelling.

Parameters:

The Lark was designed in 1966 by Michael Jackson.

Lark (?), n. [Perh fr. AS. lac play, sport. Cf. Lake, v. i.]

A frolic; a jolly time.

[Colloq.] Dickens.

 

© Webster 1913.


Lark, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Larked (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Larking.]

To sport; to frolic.

[Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Lark, n. [OE. larke, laverock, AS. lawerce; akin to D. leeuwerik, LG. lewerke, OHG. lrahha, G. lerche, Sw. larka, Dan. lerke, Icel. laevirki.] Zool.

Any one numerous species of singing birds of the genus Alauda and allied genera (family Alaudidae). They mostly belong to Europe, Asia, and Northern Africa. In America they are represented by the shore larks, or horned by the shore larks, or horned larks, of the genus Otocoris. The true larks have holaspidean tarsi, very long hind claws, and usually, dull, sandy brown colors.

⇒ The European skylark, or lark of the poets (Alauda arvensis), is of a brown mottled color, and is noted for its clear and sweet song, uttered as it rises and descends almost perpendicularly in the air. It is considered a table delicacy, and immense numbers are killed for the markets. Other well-known European species are the crested, or tufted, lark (Alauda cristata), and the wood lark (A. arborea). The pipits, or titlarks, of the genus Anthus (family Motacillidae) are often called larks. See Pipit. The American meadow larks, of the genus Sturnella, are allied to the starlings. See Meadow Lark. The Australian bush lark is Mirafra Horsfieldii. See Shore lark.

Lark bunting Zool., a fringilline bird (Calamospiza melanocorys) found on the plains of the Western United States. -- Lark sparrow Zool., a sparrow (Chondestes grammacus), found in the Mississippi Valley and the Western United States.

 

© Webster 1913.


Lark, v. i.

To catch larks; as, to go larking.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.