Not a Wiccan tradition in the strictest sense, kitchen witchery is more a specific type of eclectic solitary practice. It differs from other practice in that it is focused on the hearth and home as power centers as well as focusing more on the practical applications of workings. The concept of a kitchen witch is very similar to that of a hedge witch. In some references the terms are used interchangeably, but there are subtle differences in emphasis. Some people find the term kitchen witch to be offensive as it seems to them anti-feminist, but others feel it rightly describes a practice that does originate in the kitchen and focuses on family.

The typical kitchen witch does not belong to a coven or organized tradition (ie Gardnerian or Dianic), but rather is self-taught, relying on intuition, self-reflection and study. He or she may use any of the following in zir practice:

Magickal cooking is considered the cornerstone of the kitchen witch's practice. Some follow cookbooks and some follow intuition, but cooking is done with a sense of reverence and focus on embuing the food with energies.

Being a kitchen witch is a very pragmatic way to practice the craft. Kitchen witches have been known to vacuum the negative energies out of a room and use popsicle sticks as craft tools! For me, being a kitchen witch (albeit a fledgeling one) is about making the small things in life meaningful. Some days I really can't handle the larger "meaning of life" questions, but I can make meaning in small ways, starting in my kitchen.

Kitchen Witch

In The Adventures of The Kitchen Witch, a kitchen witch is a practioner of a specialized form of magic called, Enchanted Culinary Craft, away from the influence of a coven, or any other pagan assembly. A kitchen witch excels in mixing magical potions, broths, drinks or preparing meals infused with charms or hexes. Although the kitchen witch uses spells to help her in her tasks, she relies on a magickal recipe box instead of the usual spell book. As she grows in her Enchanted Culinary skills, which she can only do by completing a series of tasks, she will regularly defend herself as many will attempt to destroy her to acquire her Culninary Magick. As her experience level increases she must also learn to protect her recipe box as it is the key to her powers, and many will try to steal it. The recipe box is a powerful instrument, and in the hands of evil, it can unleash a wave of fear and terror. Should the box be stolen, it would be the kitchen witch's duty to retrieve it.

The male counterpart of the kitchen witch is the kitchen warlock.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.