A volatile thick brown oil with a bitter taste, obtained from the woody portions of Juniperus oxycedrus, used as a pharmaceutical necessity and for the topical therapy of dermatoses. Called also cade oil, Haarlem oil, and silver balsam.

Dorlands Medical Dictionary

Not to be confused with juniper oil, juniper tar (most commonly called cade oil) comes, of course, from the juniper shrub, specifically the European variety. It's primarily used on dermatological disorders - eczema and psoriasis in humans and a number of rashes, hives, and other irritant-related cutaneous diseases in animals. It is hyped as being effective and bringing blemishes to the surface quickly for easy removal. For some reason, the Food and Drug Administration banned the advertising of juniper tar in skin care products on November 17, 1990, noting that no evidence of the oil's effectiveness could be found in any scientific research. Apparently, the warnings in the FDA ruling weren't unfounded, as those suffering from epilepsy and high blood pressure may suffer ill effects from applying juniper tar to the skin.

Not just limited to medical purposes, well-distilled juniper tar can be added to meat and seafood - it has a smoky aroma and flavor which can greatly add to the presentation of a meal. It also has the faint scent of pine oil, making it useful in soaps and tanning resins wishing to capture that outdoor feel.

In general, a half-liter of juniper tar will set you back around $60, although you can of course mix it into your bathwater a small capful at a time, ensuring healthy skin and a clean complexion. (Or maybe I'm bluffing! I don't even know. Reports conflict.)

Source: Google and a lot of piecework.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.