In"side` (?), prep. or adv.

Within the sides of; in the interior; contained within; as, inside a house, book, bottle, etc.

 

© Webster 1913.


In"side`, a

1.

Being within; included or inclosed in anything; contained; interior; internal; as, the inside passengers of a stagecoach; inside decoration.

Kissing with inside lip. Shak.

2.

Adapted to the interior.

Inside callipers Mech., callipers for measuring the diameters of holes, etc. -- Inside finish Arch., a general term for the final work in any building necessary for its completion, but other than unusual decoration; thus, in joiner work, the doors and windows, inside shutters, door and window trimmings, paneled jams, baseboards, and sometimes flooring and stairs; in plaster work, the finishing coat, the cornices, centerpieces, etc.,; in painting, all simple painting of woodwork and plastering. -- Inside track, the inner part of a race course; hence, colloquially, advantage of place, facilities, etc., in competition.

 

© Webster 1913.


In"side`, n.

1.

The part within; interior or internal portion; content.

Looked he o' the inside of the paper? Shak.

2. pl.

The inward parts; entrails; bowels; hence, that which is within; private thoughts and feelings.

Here's none but friends; we may speak Our insides freely. Massinger.

3.

An inside passenger of a coach or carriage, as distinguished from one upon the outside.

[Colloq. Eng.]

So down thy hill, romantic Ashbourne, glides The Derby dilly, carrying three insides. Anti-Jacobin.

Patent insidesoutside, a name give to newspaper sheets printed on one side with general and miscellaneous matter, and furnished wholesale to offices of small newspapers, where the blank pages are filled up with recent and local news.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.