Im*port" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Imported; p. pr. & vb. n. Importing.] [L. importare to bring in, to occasion, to cause; pref. im- in + portare to bear. Sense 3 comes through F. importer, from the Latin. See Port demeanor.]

1.

To bring in from abroad; to introduce from without; especially, to bring (wares or merchandise) into a place or country from a foreign country, in the transactions of commerce; -- opposed to export. We import teas from China, coffee from Brasil, etc.

2.

To carry or include, as meaning or intention; to imply; to signify.

Every petition . . . doth . . . always import a multitude of speakers together. Hooker.

3.

To be of importance or consequence to; to have a bearing on; to concern.

I have a motion much imports your good. Shak.

If I endure it, what imports it you? Dryden.

Syn. -- To denote; mean; sighify; imply; indicate; betoken; interest; concern.

 

© Webster 1913.


Im*port", v. i.

To signify; to purport; to be of moment.

"For that . . . importeth to the work."

Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.


Im"port (?), n.

1.

Merchandise imported, or brought into a country from without its boundaries; -- generally in the plural, opposed to exports.

I take the imports from, and not the exports to, these conquests, as the measure of these advantages which we derived from them. Burke.

2.

That which a word, phrase, or document contains as its signification or intention or interpretation of a word, action, event, and the like.

3.

Importance; weight; consequence.

Most serious design, and the great import. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.