To partake in the consumption of an inhaled drug. (eg. I huffed a wad)

A mode of transport used in the first half of the 20th century by men with funny glasses and moustaches:

"You can leave in a taxi. If you can't get a taxi, you can leave in a huff. If that's too soon, you can leave in a minute and a huff."

-- Groucho Marx, Duck Soup (1933)

HTH = H = humma

huff v.

To compress data using a Huffman code. Various programs that use such methods have been called `HUFF' or some variant thereof. Oppose puff. Compare crunch, compress.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Huff (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Huffed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Huffing.] [Cf. OE. hoove to puff up, blow; prob. of imitative origin.]

1.

To swell; to enlarge; to puff up; as, huffed up with air.

Grew.

2.

To treat with insolence and arrogance; to chide or rebuke with insolence; to hector; to bully.

You must not presume to huff us. Echard.

3. Draughts

To remove from the board (the piece which could have captured an opposing piece). See Huff, v. i., 3.

 

© Webster 1913.


Huff, v. i.

1.

To enlarge; to swell up; as, bread huffs.

2.

To bluster or swell with anger, pride, or arrogance; to storm; to take offense.

THis senseless arrogant conceit of theirs made them huff at the doctrine of repentance. South.

3. Draughts

To remove from the board a man which could have captured a piece but has not done so; -- so called because it was the habit to blow upon the piece.

 

© Webster 1913.


Huff, n.

1.

A swell of sudden anger or arrogance; a fit of disappointment and petulance or anger; a rage.

"Left the place in a huff."

W. Irving.

2.

A boaster; one swelled with a false opinion of his own value or importance.

Lewd, shallow-brained huffs make atheism and contempt of religion the sole badge . . . of wit. South.

To take huff, to take offence.

Cowper.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.