Harsh Bad. Not good.

Another multi purpose negative adjective. Something that is 'harsh' isn't good. More than most other 'bad' terms, uses for 'harsh' are particularly diverse. Pretty much anything can be 'harsh'.

"Today was harsh."

"That was harsh."

"The Nazi regime was harsh."


You get the picture. It also has a more specific use when referring to a joint. If a joint is said to be 'harsh' (as oppose to 'smooth') then it is 'hard on the lungs'. It may induce more coughing from the smoker, or may just be less effective. Usually a harsh joint is caused by badly burning rolling paper, and this can, in turn, be caused by many things.

Part of the London Slang Project

Harsh (?), a. [Compar. Harsher (?); superl. Harshest.] [OE. harsk; akin to G. harsch, Dan. harsk rancid, Sw. harsk; from the same source as E. hard. See Hard, a.]

1.

Rough; disagreeable; grating; esp.:(a) To the touch."Harsh sand." Boyle. (b) To the taste. "Berries harsh and crude." Milton. (c) To the ear. "Harsh din." Milton.

2.

Unpleasant and repulsive to the sensibilities; austere; crabbed; morose; abusive; abusive; severe; rough.

Clarence is so harsh, so blunt. Shak.

Though harsh the precept, yet the charmed. Dryden.

3. Painting, Drawing, etc.

Having violent contrasts of color, or of light and shade; lacking in harmony.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.