One way of raising problems of the aesthetic theory is to ask why a forgery or fake is typically valued far less than an original work, regardless of how good it is. The reason is probably a by-product of the art market, or the manifestation of the belief that a work done by a superior artist will have a greater significance than one of an inferior one, no matter how good the actual work is.

For"ger*y (?), n.; pl. Forgeries (#). [Cf. F. forgerie.]

1.

The act of forging metal into shape.

[Obs.]

Useless the forgery Of brazen shield and spear. Milton.

2.

The act of forging, fabricating, or producing falsely; esp., the crime of fraudulently making or altering a writing or signature purporting to be made by another; the false making or material alteration of or addition to a written instrument for the purpose of deceit and fraud; as, the forgery of a bond.

Bouvier.

3.

That which is forged, fabricated, falsely devised, or counterfeited.

These are the forgeries of jealously. Shak.

The writings going under the name of Aristobulus were a forgery of the second century. Waterland.

Syn. -- Counterfeit; Forgery. Counterfeit is chiefly used of imitations of coin, or of paper money, or of securities depending upon pictorial devices and engraved designs for identity or assurance of genuineness. Forgery is more properly applied to making a false imitation of an instrument depending on signatures to show genuineness and validity.

Abbott.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.