A situation which threatens life, limb, or sanity. Often sought by adrenaline junkies and avoided by unadventurous mundanes and induhviduals, though the latter two sometimes put themselves in danger out of their own stupidity, and not out of any well-informed decision on their part. Midterms are dangerous because they threaten your sanity. Relationships can be dangerous as well. If you're really unlucky, you might loose an arm or two as well as your mind in a bad relationship. Life-threatening things include college and driving cars. Danger is sometimes denoted by a warning sign.

Dan"ger (?), n. [OE. danger, daunger, power, arrogance, refusal, difficulty, fr. OF. dagier, dongier (with same meaning), F. danger danger, fr. an assumed LL. dominiarium power, authority, from L. dominium power, property. See Dungeon, Domain, Dame.]

1.

Authority; jurisdiction; control.

[Obs.]

In dangerhad he . . . the young girls. Chaucer.

2.

Power to harm; subjection or liability to penalty.

[Obs.] See In one's danger, below.

You stand within his danger, do you not? Shak.

Covetousness of gains hath brought [them] in dangerof this statute. Robynson (More's Utopia).

3.

Exposure to injury, loss, pain, or other evil; peril; risk; insecurity.

4.

Difficulty; sparingness.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

5.

Coyness; disdainful behavior.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

In one's danger, in one's power; liable to a penalty to be inflicted by him. [Obs.] This sense is retained in the proverb, "Out of debt out of danger."

Those rich man in whose debt and danger they be not. Robynson (More's Utopia).

-- To do danger, to cause danger. [Obs.]

Shak.

Syn. -- Peril; hazard; risk; jeopardy. -- Danger, Peril, Hazard, Risk, Jeopardy. Danger is the generic term, and implies some contingent evil in prospect. Peril is instant or impending danger; as, in peril of one's life. Hazard arises from something fortuitous or beyond our control; as, the hazard of the seas. Risk is doubtful or uncertain danger, often incurred voluntarily; as, to risk an engagement. Jeopardy is extreme danger. Danger of a contagious disease; the perils of shipwreck; the hazards of speculation; the risk of daring enterprises; a life brought into jeopardy.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dan"ger, v. t.

To endanger.

[Obs.]

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.