Con*trast" (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Contrasted; p. pr. & vb. n. Contrasting.] [F. contraster, LL. contrastare to resist, withstand, fr. L. contra + stare to stand. See Stand.]

To stand in opposition; to exhibit difference, unlikeness, or opposition of qualities.

The joints which divide the sandstone contrast finely with the divisional planes which separate the basalt into pillars.
Lyell.

 

© Webster 1913


Con*trast", v. t.

1.

To set in opposition, or over against, in order to show the differences between, or the comparative excellences and defects of; to compare by difference or contrariety of qualities; as, to contrast the present with the past.

2. (Fine Arts)

To give greater effect to, as to a figure or other object, by putting it in some relation of opposition to another figure or object.

the figures of the groups must not be all on side . . . but must contrast each other by their several position.
Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913


Con"trast (kon"trast), n. [F. contraste: cf. It. contrasto.]

1.

The act of contrasting, or the state of being contrasted; comparison by contrariety of qualities.

place the prospect of the soul
In sober contrast with reality.
Wordsworth.

2.

Opposition or dissimilitude of things or qualities; unlikeness, esp. as shown by juxtaposition or comparison.

The contrasts and resemblances of the seasons.
Whewell.

3. (Fine Arts)

The opposition of varied forms, colors, etc., which by such juxtaposition more vividly express each other's peculiarities. Fairholt.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.