Con*sent" (?), v. i. [imp. & p.p. Consented; p.pr. & vb.n Consenting.] [F. consentir, fr. L. consentire, -sensum, to feel together, agree; con- + sentire to feel. See Sense.]

1.

To agree in opinion or sentiment; to be of the same mind; to accord; to concur.

And Saul was consenting unto his death. Acts. viii. 1.

Flourishing many years before Wyclif, and much consenting with him in jugdment. Fuller.

2.

To indicate or express a willingness; to yield to guidance, persuasion, or necessity; to give assent or approval; to comply.

My poverty, but not my will, consents. Shak.

And whispering "I will ne'er consent," -- consented. Byron.

Syn. -- To accede; yield; assent; comply; agree; allow; concede; permit; admit; concur; acquiesce.

 

© Webster 1913.


Con*sent", v. t.

To grant; to allow; to assent to; to admit.

[Obs.]

Interpreters . . . will not consent it to be a true story. Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.


Con*sent", n. [Cf. OF. consent.]

1.

Agreement in opinion or sentiment; the being of one mind; accord.

All with one consent began to make exuse. Luke xiv. 18.

They feil together all, as by consent. Shak.

2.

Correspondence in parts, qualities, or operations; agreement; harmony; coherence.

The melodious consent of the birds. Holland.

Such is the world's great harmony that springs From union, order, full consent of things. Pope.

3.

Voluntary accordance with, or concurrence in, what is done or proposed by another; acquiescence; compliance; approval; permission.

Thou wert possessed of David's throne By free consent of all. Milton.

4. Law

Capable, deliberate, and voluntary assent or agreement to, or concurrence in, some act or purpose, implying physical and mental power and free action.

5. Physiol.

Sympathy. See Sympathy, 4.

Syn. -- Assent; acquiescence; concurrence; agreement; approval; permission. See Assent.

Age of consent Law, an age, fixed by statute and varying in different jurisdictions, at which one is competent to give consent. Sexual intercourse with a female child under the age of consent is punishable as rape.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.