The X-files

Conduit
Episode: 1X03
First aired: 10/1/93
Written by: Alex Gansa and Howard Gordon
Directed by: Daniel Sackheim

Mulder and Scully investigate the disappearance of a teenage girl at Lake Okobogee.
Mulder, of course, claims that the girl, Ruby, was abducted by aliens. Scully thinks Ruby ran away.
This case brings about Mulder's feelings for his sister, Samantha, who he thinks was abducted by aliens when he was 12.

The girl's mother, in 1967, had reported a UFO sighting and Ruby's little brother is acting strangely, writing down a binary code, which Mulder takes to be analyzed.
The code turns out to be a highly classified defense satellite transmission and the mother and boy are grabbed by government agents.
Mulder and Scully find Ruby's boyfriend, now dead, near where she went missing.
Scully says that Ruby and her boyfriend must have been killed by a friend and tells Mulder to stop running after his sister.

They go to the family's house and see a number of pages of binary code on the floor. When they reach the top of the stairs they see that the pages make up a picture of Ruby.
They go back to the forest and find Ruby alive but unconscious.

At the hospital, Ruby's mother says that Ruby will not discuss what happened so that she will not be ridiculed.

Later we see Mulder alone in a church crying for his sister. Scully is at home listening to Mulder's hypnotic regression therapy tapes. In the tape Mulder recalls a voice telling him that Samantha will be okay and that he wants to believes these voices.

Important quotes:
Mulder, under hypnotic regression talking about voice he heared when Samantha was abducted --" Not to be afraid. It's telling me no harm will come to her, and that one day she'll return."
Dr. Heitzwerber (Mulder's doctor) -- "Do you believe the voice?" (The scene fades to black) Mulder -- "I want to believe."

Previous Episode|Next Episode

Back to The X-files: Season 1
A waterproof membrane from Mountain Hardwear.

This membrane does the same thing as the more known Gore Tex membrane, but works in a fundamentally different way: it utilises hydrophilic and hydrophobic molecules. A hydrophilic molecule attracts water, and a hydrophobic molecule pushes it away.

These molecules are interconnected so that moist and vapour will be drawn away from your body. This process accelerates as the moisture content rises inside the garment -- the more you sweat, the more moisture it transports!

There exists two different types of Conduit shells:

  • 2-ply: in a 2-ply shell, the membrane is laminated onto an outer shell, and an inner mesh hangs loose to protect the mebrane, which is otherwise unprotected.
  • 3-ply: in a 3-ply shell, the membrane is laminated onto an outer shell and an inner protective lining. If the inner lining gets moist (ie. from sweat), it can freeze, this is usually only a problem when you're high up in the mountains.

The Conduit membrane is slightly cheaper than Gore Tex, but both membranes are 100% waterproof. Since the Conduit membrane transports more moisture as your activity level increases, it just might be your choice.

See also: Gore-Tex, Dermizax.

Con"duit [F., fr. LL. conductus escort, conduit. See Conduct.]

1.

A pipe, canal, channel, or passage for conveying water or fluid.

All the conduits of my blood froze up. Shak.

This is the fountain of all those bitter waters, of which, through a hundred different conduits, we have drunk. Burke.

2. Arch. (a)

A structure forming a reservoir for water.

Oxf. Gloss.

(b)

A narrow passage for private communication.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.