Did you ever notice that when you do something which can have two outcomes, right and wrong, and you choose to choose blindly, that when you choose wrongly, you blame the condition of the world for the outcome. Yet, if you choose correctly, you just go along as if it were the order of the day.

Examples? Putting on an undershirt without first looking to see which is the front or back. Plugging in an electrical cord without first looking to see which is the fat prong. Sticking your foot into a shoe without looking to see if it's the right or left one. Getting in a foreign shower and assuming which handle is for the hot water. I could go on.

The point is: Why, when we choose wrongly (as we do 50% of the time, I would suppose), do we beat ourselves around the face and neck, cursing our fate in this horrible world and crying out, "Why ME?"

Yet, when we choose correctly, we just go about our merry way with hardly another thought of the matter?

I think I know. We think we deserve happiness and prosperity and good luck. Anything else would be a misalignment of the stars against us. But I do not know from whence we got this idea.

if i can't do
what i want to do
then my job is to not
do what i don't want
to do

it's not the same thing
but it's the best i can
do

if i can't have
what i want then
my job is to want
what i've got
and be satisfied
that at least there
is something more
to want

since i can't go
where i need
to go then i must go
where the signs point
though always understanding
parallel movement
isn't lateral

when i can't express
what i really feel
i practice feeling
what i can express

and none of it is equal
i know
but that's why mankind
alone among the animals
learns to cry

- Nikki Giovanni

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.