A wonderful, vegetarian, Indian dish made with chick peas, tomato paste, onions, and flavored with garam masala. It's easy to make, inexpensive, and uses basic ingredients (except for the garam masala...)
More specifically, here's a basic recipe (I'm not big on specifying amounts of ingredients; just experiment to find the best mix for you):
- Fry some diced onions in a medium sized pan (I like to use chili sesame oil, but any oil will work)
- Rinse a can of chick peas (to wash off the soupy water they come pack in)
- Pour in some water, tomato paste, garam masala, and a can of chick peas (okay, okay, I said no measurements, but I use about a cup of water for per can of chick peas and 5 teaspoons or so of garam masala)
- Bring this mixture to a boil
- Lower the heat, COVER TIGHTLY, (if you don't do this, you'll end up with dry chana masala) and let simmer for about 15 minutes
- Serve with rice (I prefer basmati, but brown rice works too.