The word chakram is derived from the sanskrit word, chakra, literally meaning round, circle, or wheel. The Oxford English Dictionary describes a chakram as a quoit, or a metal or stone disk thrown in the greek or roman fashion of the discus. Very little information is available about Chakrams, and Bret Ryan Rudnick of Harvard, after doing extensive research on the subject (http://www.whoosh.org/issue8/rudnick6.html) found that the best source of information on the Chakram comes from a monograph published in 1880 by The Honourable Wilbraham Egerton, M.A., M.P., titled "An Illustrated Handbook of Indian Arms". Chakrams are thrown weapons, either hurled or twirled around on a finger and released like a frisbee. The chakram can be thrown effectively at a target up to 50 meters away, while a few really well constructed ancient chakrams can be thrown straight up to 100 meters and further. A clipped and straightened chakram would resemble an airfoil, like the wing of an airplane. They were often worn as part of a warriors armor, for decorative purposes. As a result, many chakrams still in existance tend towards the highly ornate and impractical. It was used by trained footman in the Sikh military up until the 19th century. However, it was never a common weapon around the world, and was rarely even found in the works of fantasy.

Uncommon, that is, until Xena Warrior Princess hit the scene. The Aerobie by Superflight Inc. is basically a rubber and plastic chakram, for those who fantasize about nailing someone in the cubicle across the hall with a mighty chakram while emulating Xena's war-cry.

Chakram

The chakram is a steel thrown weapon with it's origins in India. Most commonly used by the Sikhs during and after the 16th century, it is also seen in Indian folklore, including one whimsical eclipse myth where an asura tries to swallow the moon before having his head cut of by a chakram. It was used in battle against the Moghul dynasty by the Sikhs under Guru Govind Singh.

The weapon has the appearance of a flat metal quoit, between 6 and 8 inches in diameter, and is usually constructed of steel or brass. The outer edge of the chakram is sharpened, and sometimes serrated. The surface is often engraved decoratively, and are sometimes inlaid with silver or gold. In a few examples, there are holes drilled in them, which causes the weapon to make a high pitched whistling sound when thrown. A cross section of the chakram reveals a triangular shape with a razor sharp edge, and a flat lower surface. A couple of rare examples exist where the ring seems to have been formed over a sphere, making an elliptical cross section.

There are two known methods for throwing the chakram. One is to whirl the weapon around the forefinger before releasing it, and the other is to throw it frisbee-style. It can be thrown accurately for 60 to 100 metres.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.