Orangey-yellow color. Softer than iron and steel. What was historically used after stone and copper and before iron and steel for the manufacture of tools and weapons, such as armor, daggers, swords, shields, helmets, and spear heads. It was not strong enough to make any sword longer than a short sword.

Bronze (?), n. [F. bronze, fr. It. bronzo brown, fr. OHG. brn, G. braun. See Brown, a.]

1.

An alloy of copper and tin, to which small proportions of other metals, especially zinc, are sometimes added. It is hard and sonorous, and is used for statues, bells, cannon, etc., the proportions of the ingredients being varied to suit the particular purposes. The varieties containing the higher proportions of tin are brittle, as in bell metal and speculum metal.

2.

A statue, bust, etc., cast in bronze.

A print, a bronze, a flower, a root. Prior.

3.

A yellowish or reddish brown, the color of bronze; also, a pigment or powder for imitating bronze.

4.

Boldness; impudence; "brass."

Imbrowned with native bronze, lo! Henley stands. Pope.

Aluminium bronze. See under Aluminium. -- Bronze age, an age of the world which followed the stone age, and was characterized by the use of implements and ornaments of copper or bronze. -- Bronze powder, a metallic powder, used with size or in combination with painting, to give the appearance of bronze, gold, or other metal, to any surface. -- Phosphor bronzeSiliciousSilicium bronze are made by adding phosphorus and silicon respectively to ordinary bronze, and are characterized by great tenacity.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bronze, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Bronzed (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Bronzing.] [Cf. F. bronzer. See Bronze, n.]

1.

To give an appearance of bronze to, by a coating of bronze powder, or by other means; to make of the color of bronze; as, to bronze plaster casts; to bronze coins or medals.

The tall bronzed black-eyed stranger. W. Black.

2.

To make hard or unfeeling; to brazen.

The lawer who bronzes his bosom instead of his forehead. Sir W. Scott.

Bronzed skin disease. Pathol. See Addison's disease.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.