A nonmetallic chemical element occuring only in combination, as with sodium and oxygen in borax, and produced in the form of either a brown amorphous powder or very hard, brilliant crystals. Its compounds are used in the preparation of boric acid, water softeners, soaps, enamels, borosilicate glasses, and pottery, in the manufacture of insulation fiberglass and sodium perborate bleach, and in the treatment of arthritis. The isotope boron-10 is used as a control for nuclear reactors, as a shield for radiation, and in instruments used for detecting neutrons. With titanium and tungsten, boron is used to make heat-resistant alloys for jets and rockets.

Boron was first isolated in 1808 by Sir Humphry Davy (who named it after borax, one of its compounds), Joseph-Louis Gay-Lussac, and Louis-Jacques Thénard in London, England, through the reaction of boric acid with potassium.

Symbol: B
Atomic number: 5
Atomic weight: 10.811
Density (at room temperature and pressure): 2.34 g/cm3
Melting point: 2,080°C
Boiling point: 4,000°C
Valence: +3
Ground state electron configuration: [He]2s22p1
Also a character created by Dogbert of the Dilbert comic strip: "The Adventures of Boron - The Most Boring Man In The Entire Universe". Dilbert comments "Boron looks like me".

In chapter one Boron slays the entire marketing department by explaining asynchronous transfer protocols.

Scott Adams, Fugitive From The Cubicle Police.

Boron
Symbol: B
Atomic Number: 5
Boiling Point: 4275 K
Melting Point: 2365 K
Density at 300K: 2.34 g/cm3
Covalent radius: 0.82
Atomic radius: 1.17
Atomic volume: 4.60 cm3/mol
First ionization potental: 8.298 V
Specific heat capacity: 1.026 Jg-1K-1
Thermal conductivity: 27.0 Wm-1K-1
Electrical conductivity: 5*10-12 106Ω-1m-1
Heat of fusion: 22.6 kJ/mol
Heat of vaporization: 507.8 kJ/mol
Electronegativity: 2.04 (Pauling's)

Previous Beryllium---Carbon Next
To the Periodic Table

Boron seems to help with pain and the stiffness of arthritis and is needed to build and maintain healthy cell membranes along with bones in the human body. A combination of calcium, magnesium, vitamin D and the trace mineral boron may help prevent osteoporosis.

Boron can be found in apples, grapes, various vegetables, fruits, nuts, and raisins.

Deficiences of boron can lead to osteoporosis, arthritis, poor bone development, and possibly stunted growth.

Bo"ron (?), n. [See Borax.] Chem.

A nonmetallic element occurring abundantly in borax. It is reduced with difficulty to the free state, when it can be obtained in several different forms; viz., as a substance of a deep olive color, in a semimetallic form, and in colorless quadratic crystals similar to the diamond in hardness and other properties. It occurs in nature also in boracite, datolite, tourmaline, and some other minerals. Atomic weight 10.9. Symbol B.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.