Best Friends is the largest no-kill animal sanctuary in the United States. Located in southern Utah, Best Friends is home to a huge number of formerly abandoned and abused creatures. The organization also sponsors a nationwide network of animal rescue and foster home volunteers, as well as humane education programs.

If you make a contribution, they will send you their magazine, also called Best Friends. The magazine is filled with interesting animal welfare/animal rights news, scientific features, cute photos of critters, and incredibly goofy stories about life at the sanctuary.

Best Friends Animal Sanctuary
Kanab, UT 84741-5000
(435) 644-2001

www.bestfriends.org

Swinging in the sunshine.

We've been swinging here since we were old enough to walk.

We reminisce about all the things that mattered when we were children...dandelion wishes, water balloons, racing to the porch. lemonade and firecrackers on Independence Day.

I say that maybe life was just as complicated then as it is now, and we were just too stupid to care...he thinks for a moment, and agrees. "Ignorance is only bliss when you're too ignorant to realize it."

I glance sideways, and he's sinking lower and lower in the swing, nearly touching the ground. Finally he comes to rest on the ground. I blink a few times and mimic his action, laying on the ground with my legs up in the swing. We look at each other for a few moments, and start giggling madly. No words are needed.

The sun shines as warmly as when we were children, and for a few dizzy moments I am five years old again.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.