Wynkyn de Worde (died c. 1534), early printer, apprentice to William Caxton, real name Jan van Wynkyn. Wynkyn was from the town of Worth, in Alsace. He probably accompanied Caxton to England from Bruges in 1476 (definitely before 1480). After finishing his apprenticeship, he worked for Caxton until Caxton's death, in 1491.

After Caxton's death, Wynkyn took over his printing business. At first, Wynkyn printed very little, only five titles between 1491 and 1493. After that, his output increased significantly - he printed more than any other printer of the time - at least 110 titles printed by de Worde between 1493 and 1500 are extant, and probably many more were issued.

At the end of 1500, Wynkyn moved from Caxton's old house at Westminster to Fleet Street, to be closer to the center of business. In about 1510, as business increased, de Worde employed Henry Watson, Robert Copland, and John Gough.

Wynkyn died late in 1534 or early 1535, by 19 January 1535. He did not share his teacher, Caxton's love of literature - Wynkyn himself never did any translations. He was, however, one of the most significant early printers, the publisher of at least 600 books.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.