Winkle and Shnrubs is a webcomic by Australian cartoon artist, Byron Henderson. The webcomic is relatively new, only first being online since August 2006, but the comics themselves had been created privately by Byron several years prior, and only recently being available online after a good friend of Byron's, Brett Norman, who studies Multimedia at Murdoch University, urged him to showcase his work. Currently with approximately 30+ cartoons, the webcomic updates once or twice a week irregularly, as quoted from the homepage "however my full-time working life permits me".

Premise

Each cartoon is fully hand drawn, inked, and coloured via computer before being published. Its style is slightly similar to Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulil's popular webcomic Penny Arcade (webcomic), although Byron has quoted his style is a result of "many inspiring comics over the years".

Winkle and Shnrubs focuses loosely around weird or obscure events in the lives of the two main characters, Winkle and Shnrubs respectively. There very little plot or general continuity in the webcomic and in most cases, each comic has a totally new plotline, replying on humorous jokes or gags, and zany short-lived storylines.

Cast

Main cast

Shnrubs, nicknamed "Hey you, behind the bushes", is one of the two main characters. Most of the cartoons plotlines involves a response to his actions, and thus becoming the main culprit behind many of the comics events that occur in result. Quoted from the cast page from the website "Mostly all of [Shnrubs's] ideas end up with someone getting hurt and/or someone having to visit a discount surgeon".

Winkle, is the second of the two main characters. Most of his appearances in the webcomic involves himself resolving or reacting to his friend Shnrubs's actions, resulting in many of the comic humorous events. Not as outgoing as his friend Shnrubs, it is quoted from the cast page of the website "a tasty naval orange with some toothpicks precariously shoved in the top would look more appealing to hang out with. This orange would probably be a better conversationalist too." This is in response to the idea that Winkle is usually the unadventurous character of the comic.

Supporting Cast

Wolf Boy - This character is based upon a fully bipedal wolf character that was introduced in the first early versions of the comic. Only recently becoming civilised and befriending Wrinkle and Shnrubs, Wolf Boy's existence as a supporting character is usually brief and appears during many of Shnrubs adventures. Quoted from the cast page of the website, "he has (recently) discovered the wonders of wearing pants". Wolf Boy can also fully talk and interact to the other characters.

The Devil - Although not seen in any of the current comic strips publish to date, The Devil is presumed to be included in future comics. Represented in a recent wallpaper image on the websites 'Extras' page, he is wearing a Aloha shirt holding a map (presumably of Earth) with the caption, "I require access to all human souls!".

Trivia

  1. The cartoonist, Byron Henderson, is a big fan of Ryan North's webcomic, Dinosaur Comics
  2. Byron has also recently purchased a Wacom tablet, and plans to attempt future comics using it.
  3. Byron and his designer and webmaster, Brett Norman, are currently in a rock band together, playing bass and drums respectively.
  4. Winkle's real character name is Winston Kelly.

URL - www.winkleandshnrubs.2ya.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.