American comic book artist (1916-1982). He was born in South Dakota into a farming family. He joined the Marine Corps and was stationed in Norfolk, Virginia. He later studied at the Chicago Art Institute and the Minnesota School of Art before starting to work at National Publications (which later grew up to be DC Comics) in 1937. He did some pencilling for characters like Slam Bradley and Dr. Occult, though his work was signed by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster (a common practice at the time, when a publisher would push some "star" artists as the creators of as many books as possible).

After Superman proved to be a great success in 1938, Boring began working on Superman comics nearly full-time, quickly becoming one of the most prominent and recognizable artists to work on that character. His version of the Man of Steel was more muscular than Siegel and Shuster's version and more clean-cut. It was also much more cleanly and clearly drawn. Boring had been inspired by early Flash Gordon comics, and that helped him create some of the wild science fiction stories that became more popular during the 1950s and '60s.

After 30 years of working on both the Superman comic books and the daily Superman comic strip, Boring was fired by DC, along with a number of older artists, in the late '60s. Afterwards, he ghosted backgrounds on the Sunday "Prince Valiant" strip and worked briefly for Marvel Comics. One of the greatest artists Superman ever had ended his career working as a bank security guard. The world is not fair.

Research from http://www.wayneboring.com and http://www.comic-art.com/bios-1/boring01.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.