Vardenafil is a new medication in the same class as Viagra, but about five times more potent. It has essentially identical pharmacology, efficacy and safety profile. It is, however, more highly selective than Viagra in its mechanism of action. It is effective about an hour after being taken, and has a half-life of about 8 hours. It remains clinically active for nine to twelve hours - a vast improvement over Viagra's four-hour window of action. Contraindications to the medication are identical to those of sildenafil (Viagra).

Pharmacologic class

Phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitor
Brand Names
Remedy
Indications
Male erectile dysfunction (ED)
Pharmacology
PDE-5 inhibitors work by blocking the enzyme phosphodiesterase-5. This causes relaxation of the smooth muscles at the base of the penis, allowing for increased blood flow to the corpora cavernosa and the corpus spongiosum.
Contraindications
Concomitant therapy with nitrates can cause severe lowering of blood pressure
Precautions
Confirm the diagnosis. Heart disease (heart attack, stroke, or serious arrhythmia within six months, high or low blood pressure, or unstable angina). Penile deformation (such as Peyronie's disease) or a predisposition to praipism. Anyone for whom sex is inadvisable. Bleeding disorders or active peptic ulcers. Pregnancy (Category B).
Interactions
Nitrates (both short and long-acting forms)
Adverse Reactions
The most commonly seen side-effects in studies were headache, flushing, dyspepsia (indigestion), nasal congestion, lowered blood pressure, and allergies
Additional Information
Vildafenil was FDA-approved in September of 2001, and has a planned release in the United States in the fourth quarter of 2002.
Date of most recent Update
September 25, 2002
Further information is available in the writeup for the brand name(s) of this medication

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.